The United States Constitution requires that most federal criminal charges be reviewed by a grand jury - one that consists of members of the community who listen to and examine evidence that is presented by a federal prosecutor.
- Many federal cases begin with an indictment, which is the formal written statement issued by the grand jury and signed by a federal prosecutor accusing one or more people with a crime.
- However, you may be able to side-step an indictment if you hire an attorney with knowledge of the federal system.
- Your attorney will be able to argue for and against applicable Federal Sentencing Guidelines based on the facts and circumstances of your case.
- Federal Criminal Sexual Abuse is a common federal indictment which carries a possible sentence of 235-293 months imprisonment.
- Federal Kidnapping charges can range from 121-151 months but can be further increased as well.
- Federal Manufacturing, Importing, Exporting, and Trafficking in Illegal drugs can result in a 63 month sentence all the way to life.
If you or a loved one has been charged with a federal crime in a U.S. District Court, time is of the essence. You need an experienced criminal defense attorney, and you need one right now. Call the Law Offices of Adam R. Banner, P.C. for a free consultation.