Oklahoma Prostitution Lawyer
The Oklahoma prostitution laws are more wide-ranging than most would believe, and is therefore crucial to retain a prostitution lawyer should you face such charges. Oklahoma criminal liability for prostitution is not merely limited to the individuals having sex; anyone directly or indirectly involved in the Oklahoma sex trade can be charged as follows:
- Engaging in Prostitution – Prostitution can be boiled down to trading sexual acts for money or anything of value. As such, prostitution is not merely limited to intercourse.
- Soliciting Prostitution – There is no prostitution absent someone bargaining for the sexual acts. The person bargaining for or obtaining the sexual acts is the person soliciting prostitution. As such, an individual can be charged with soliciting either by attempting to sell the sexual acts or attempting to buy the sexual acts. Soliciting prostitution in Oklahoma can lead to extremely negative repercussions due to the social stigma involved.
- Pimping – Pimping is the act of soliciting prostitution for a third party.
- Maintaining Prostitution House – Any person who maintains any dwelling where an act of prostitution occurs can be charged with a misdemeanor.
- Renting Prostitution House – An individual who knows or should know that any portion of a building he or she rents out to a third party is used for prostitution can be charged with a misdemeanor.
- Child prostitution – "Child prostitution" means prostitution or lewdness with a person under sixteen (16) years of age, in exchange for money or any other thing of value.
Oklahoma Internet Prostitution
It has long been said that prostitution is one of the world’s oldest professions. As such, when we think of prostitution, our collective conscience conjures up images of street walkers or scantily clad “ladies of the night.” While a large portion of the arrests for prostitution in Oklahoma do occur on the streets, the internet and other advances in technology have blown open an entire new frontier for those individuals engaged in prostitution. There are entire Oklahoma online internet communities devoted to promoting “escort services.” Even though these groups and websites are usually monitored by webmasters and moderators, they are prime targets for undercover setups and sting operations as well. In the same vein, Oklahoma has seen message board sites, such as Craigslist and the like, erupt as supposed safe havens for online prostitution.
Regardless, certain bars and clubs still earn reputations for prostitution over time; likewise, some hotels and businesses are also known for this type of conduct. Consequently, these areas are littered with undercover police officers attempting to bust those individuals soliciting or engaging in prostitution in Oklahoma.
Who Can be Arrested for Prostitution in Oklahoma?
It isn’t merely the person performing the sexual acts who faces potential liability for prostitution in Oklahoma. The following individuals can be arrested and subjected to the criminal process as well:
- The prostitute – The person performing the bargained for sexual acts
- The 'john' – The person paying the prostitute for the sexual acts
- The pimp – The third party facilitating the prostitution for customers or vice versa; pimps brokers the sexual activities of the prostitute and take a portion of the profits.
- The property owner –The individual who either maintains or rents the building in which the prostitution occurs. Commercial property owners, club owners, and hotel owners can all find themselves charged with prostitution in Oklahoma.
Furthermore, law enforcement agencies will often time attempt to procure “confidential informant” (CI) agreements from those arrested for prostitution-related crimes. These agreements can be very lengthy, requiring the completion of numerous objectives before the threat of public prosecution is removed. As is the case with any other legally binding agreement, an individual in this situation is best served by retaining experienced counsel to represent his or her interests.
If you or a loved one has been charged with prostitution in Oklahoma, time is of the essence. You need an experienced Oklahoma City prostitution attorney,
and you need one right now. Call the Law Offices of Adam R. Banner, P.C., and retain an accomplished attorney ready to fight for your rights. Call
us today at (405) 778-4800 for a free consultation. See here for information on sex crimes.